Wednesday, February 27, 2008

"The Torture Playlist"

This is going to be a quick post...

I was doing my early-mid-morning check of The Onion when I read a little blog that linked to this article in Mother Jones. It lists some songs the U.S. Military uses to torture detainees in this War on Terror:

AC/DC’s “Hells Bells,” Metallica’s “Enter Sandman,” Drowning Pool’s “Bodies“), Neil Diamond’s “Coming to America,” Don MacLean’s “American Pie,” Bruce Springsteen’s “Born in the U.S.A.“, the Bee Gees’ “Stayin’ Alive,” Christina Aguilera’s “Dirrty,” Prince’s “Raspberry Beret“, and TV theme songs (Barney, Sesame Street, the song from the Meow Mix commercial).

I
'll let it be known that I am NOT a supporter of torture in any way, shape or form. You can say what you want about it being a successful interrogation tactic, but it brings the interrogator -- and the military, government, and country it represents -- to the same despicable level as the terror suspects themselves. Police aren't allowed to torture criminal suspects. They can't even touch their suspects without getting in trouble, let alone torture them. And I think "inducing sleep deprivation" falls under that category.

Also, how do you think the artists in that playlist feel? I don't just mean in terms of their consciences, but it's gotta hurt some of their egos to find out their songs are so unlistenable that they're used as torture. Goll-eee!

P.S. It cracks me up to see the Meow Mix theme song in that playlist. "I wants chicken, I wants liver. Meow Mix, Meow Mix please deliver!!" Can't deny the U.S. Military has a sense of humor... albeit a sick and twisted one.

No comments: